Global Virus Cybersecurity Preparations
In cybersecurity when we talk about viruses and protecting against viruses, we are discussing the digital kind. Preparing for this virus is an entirely different type of discussion but there are steps cybersecurity personnel can take to prepared for a virus outbreak of a biological kind.
These are suggestions, tips and recommendations to help you continue to secure your organization when employees to work from home due to the coronavirus. This web page will be updated frequently so check back often.
- Ask all employees that have one start bringing home their laptops and charging cables every night starting today. They may not be able to come in the next day, whatever day that might be.
- Do you have enough remote access licenses for all employees to work from home? Some vendors like Sonicwall and Pulse Secure are offering ICE licenses for their existing customers. Palo Alto has a free offering for new customers and an expanded offering for existing customers. Read more here. Check with your remote access vendor to see what they are offering.
- Before the laptops leave the office make sure the hard drives are encrypted. Microsoft’s BitLocker is free. For our managed NAC customers, we leverage Forescout CounterACT to monitor compliance. We also have methods to monitor compliance from the cloud once the PCs are remote. Contact me if you need assistance with remote monitoring.
- Your IT team will still need to support the laptops. LogMeIn is offering a free emergency remote work kit to help new and existing customers.
- WebEx (Cisco) is offering free 90-day business licenses for web conferencing. Check with your Cisco account manager or partner or read more here.
- With employees working remotely, Office 365 will be in use more than ever for documents and collaboration. Varonis for Office 365 can lock down sensitive files and emails, monitor user behavior, and prevent data leaks the same as we are now for your on-premise files. Learn more here.
If you need any help securing your organization before or after employees are working from home contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.